Sunday, July 10, 2011

Week One is Done!

I am getting ready this morning to start with my 3rd group of students.  I can't believe how quickly the time goes with each group.  The students are very hardworking and pleasant.  They LOVE to practice speaking English.  Both Joy and I have had students sit in on our classes just to hear and learn about Americans.  Several times we have been asked to be in photographs with people we didn't know!

One of our group members met a woman who speaks English in an icecream shop.  She is planning to study abroad in Belgium for a year.  Her classes will all be in English, so she is anxious to practice her English.  She has taken us for a Chinese foot massage (100 minutes for $15), and she took a group of us to the shopping malls and markets yesterday.  I was not among that group as I was recovering from a stomach problem. I think everyone who went along had a great time and particularly enjoyed a stop at  Starbucks.

The weather recently has been hot.  The classrooms are not air conditioned, so all of us are pretty slow moving in the morning when the sun shines into my room.  The afternoon is usually better because the breeze blows through then.  We have found several good restaurants.  The eggplant here is one of my favorites.  I would love to know how they fix it. 

I've attached a couple of pictures.  These are some of my second group and a fountain and garden near the hotel.

Love to everyone!
Cathy




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I hope you have a great experience in China. Living in Japan was such a good opportunity for me. I was hired for 2 years and stayed a total of 6 years because I liked living there so much. I wish I were younger (and healthier). I'd like to teach abroad in more countries. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete