Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Out and About in Jinan

      We had a meeting yesterday with Dr. Gao Yan, the head of the English Department here.  They are trying to decide about our trip to Tai'an and Qu'fu.  They were thinking of changing it because only a few of us would be left, but those of us left really want to take these trips so we are on again. 


      Emily, the teacher from Britain who has taught here for three years, took us to a wonderful Korean restaurant that we never would have found.  You enter from a little door and go up some stairs.  The food was very good.  For dinner, Elizabeth, Joy, and I wanted to walk to the market place in town between the old campus and our campus.  We did not have any Chinese speakers with us, so we ordered on our own.  The result was acceptable:  boiled peanuts, tofu, and some green vegetables.  They were all very tasty although a bit salty, but good.  We are finding ways to communicate, but the phrase book Harry gave me is invaluable.  Pointing to a calculator is also useful for finding the price of things!
 
      The market place, which they had seen on Sunday when I was sick, was a lot of fun.  They have so many interesting things to look at and buy.  It was overwhelming at first, but then I got the hang of it. 
 
      We found a great bakery on the way home!
 
      My class was very interested in American food.  I found them some pictures of macaroni and cheese, pasta salad, meatloaf, steak, mixed greens, and mashed potatoes.  I caught them wrinkling their noses as I described it.  I guess we all like the food we grew up with best!  
 
 
Outside the market:
 

 Entrance to the Market:


Inside the Market:


Campus Soccer Field:

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy (Mrs. Parsons!). I'm Maggie's sister Jessica. I got an email a few hours ago from one of your students. So fun! I replied, so hopefully I can help them learn some English, as I LOVE English myself. :) I hope you're having a wonderful time, and I look forward to reading your blog/getting to know one of your students! Best,

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete